Wednesday, April 25, 2007

50 + 26.2 = Mental Toughness




The first big mileage training weekend for WS is upon me. The last time I ran a double was when I was attempting a Quadzilla (four marathons in four days). My plan was to run the Tahoe Triple followed by the Biz Johnson Marathon. Unfortunately I blew out my left tibia which had all the trappings of a stress fracture but turned out to be a separation of tissue from the tibia. It was less serious than a stress fracture and healed with about 6 weeks of rest. I headed home having completed two marathons, no bling, and my first DNF . I tore my leg up by wearing the wrong shoes on a 1000 foot decent into North Lake Tahoe.

I've got a lot more training miles logged now and feel very confident that I will be able to complete the two runs this weekend. I have no idea how anyone stays injury free on the single track trails we run in the Mountains but the human body is incredibly resilient. I'm looking forward to my 5:00AM early start. About 5 of the 50milers are starting early. We will head up the mountain with our headlamps lighting the way. Five lights fading up the trail. We will probably stay together in a group of two to three until the sun rises enough to shed light on the trail. We may talk or we may just remain quite saving our energy for the final big climb and then the decent to the finish. I normally don't run with an ipod but I found the music extremely helpful in my last 50 miler and the Bend Trail Marathon.

Karen Wiggens mentioned that we will probably be running through a lot of wet muddy areas and is planning to have some new shoes and socks placed at mile 34. I'm going follow her lead but instead of changing shoes I'm just going to change my socks. My Brooks Cascadias drain really well and seem to dry out very quickly. I'll probably try some of the Hydropel that Michelle ordered on my feet as well.

The Capitol Peak 50 mile run is going to be difficult. I'm going to hike early and hike often to maintain energy for the final miles and Eugene. If I had to guess I'm thinking 11 to 11.5 hours for the 50 mile and 3:45 - 4+ for Eugene.

Stock tip: Buy shares in Ibuprofen

I'm looking forward to seeing Darryl, and Sarah in Eugene as well as having fun with the 13 or so Y-Run Club runners that are also running the Marathon. I'll bring my camera on both runs.

21 comments:

King Arthur said...

I changed socks last year but I'm not planning on it this year. I was completely frozen by the time I'd changed my 1st sock and couldn't even tie my shoes!

Jack said...

Sounds like a good challenge, I hope I can be fit enough to do that one day!

Thomas said...

Good Luck! This will be excellent training for WS!

Wes said...

Good luck, Eric! Sounds like a great plan!! We'll be thinking about you all weekend! Expecting great pics next week :-)

Darrell said...

Best of luck out there on the trails. I do my best to stay ahead of you on Sunday. ;-)

Sarah said...

You're gonna have a crazy weekend! Hopefully I'll see you before the start, because you'll still likely be ahead of me. : ) Good luck at Capitol Peak!

Olga said...

Don't go heavy on Vit I - it may cause stomach distress. It might be late, but if you can find Arnica (herbal/homeopatic) and take a tab every 2 hrs it prevents soreness rather than treats it. You plan is very sound, and I know you'll stick by it. The weather should be wonderful - first time for Cap peak:) When you run downhill there try not to crash it, but hike ups really hard. It is actually easier, especially concerning the double.
I am looking forward to your report. Now you may want to plan same thing for Memorial day weeken:)

seagull junker said...

dude, early start???? you are way faster than me, 11 hrs!!!!! no way man. try 9 or better.

hell's creek trail will be ten times better than last year. (running in a rocky 4inch river for a mile last year!) and we won't be bushwacking like we did the first year. plus, it is 50 miles instead of 56 now.

save a cup of soup for me at the end.
tom

seagull junker said...

hey olga,
i did see the sun ONCE at capital peak. couple of years ago i think.

Neese said...

lol, love your stock tip :)

Anonymous said...

good luck this weekend - i'm sure you'll do great!!!

Jon said...

Adding to olga's comment, you can get Arnica at Vitamin World and most suppliment stores.

So am I right in thinking that after the 50M/marathon double, you're going through an 8-week taper?

Anonymous said...

Eric, Your comment "I have no idea how anyone stays injury free on the single track trails we run in the Mountains" made me smile...meanwhile I'm always thinking "how does anyone stay healthy running on the roads!?" I'll see you at 5 a.m. Saturday...I may change my mind mid-race and do the 50k (that's a nice way of saying DNF). Good luck on your double!

Journey to a Centum said...

Jon - no time for tapers. Running Vancouver then Tacoma then the 12 hour Watershed, then 30,20,20 in CA on the WS training runs. Whaa Haaa Haaa Waaaa Haaaa

Adelyn said...

Have a great time out there this weekend! Can't wait to hear alla bout it :)

Jon said...

You are an animal!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's the ticket, 9 hours like Tom says. Then you will finish at the same time as Rob and I do on the 55K.

Whaa Haaa Haaa Waaaa Haaaa

Anonymous said...

P.S. Your race timers are stressing me out, man. It's like they are making the time go faster.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have two great races this weekend. You should have a lot to post next week.

miss petite america said...

whenever i read your blog, i instantly think, wow.

just. wow.

Phil said...

Boy, am I ever a light weight. I know I've never had to use the phrase "... my shoes drain well ..." to describe any of my runs over the last 5 years. Hope you stay injury free (and then tell me how to do it).