Friday, November 7, 2008

Mission Peak Trail Run


Hey! Look that's me at the summit of Mission Peak near Fremont CA. I got the opportunity to make this run when a customer pushed out a meeting to the next day which extended a business trip. I ran from the Ohlone College trail head and I'm guessing it was around a 6 mile run based on the time it took me to summit and get back to the car.

I saw a few hikers and three deer on a hillside. The climb is runnable however in my current condition I ended up power hiking up at least one mile of the climb on this out and back run.

I was on the lookout for other trail running animals that frequent this trail but Catra was not spotted during my run. I did run into Hartmut Fokken who works at Ohlone College in the IT department. He was hiking at lunch as is not able to run any long trail distances at the present time due to a hip injury. Coincidentally two years ago when I visited the trail head over at Stanford Blvd. I ran into Hartmut as he came in from a run. He's got a thick European accent and really enjoys trail running. His picture is at the bottom of these photos.

Looks like some soggy running for us folks in the Pacific NW this weekend. Hope everyone has a great weekend of running and whatever!

16 comments:

Legs and Wings said...

Good that you happened to have your running gear along with you. I don't suppose you often leave home without it eh?

Looks like Hartmut could have used a moisture-wicking shirt. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice, that is exactly why I bring my gear with me on all trips too. Never know when you will get a chance to slip in a sweet run.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Oooh, pretty. Man, Iowa is lame.

Thomas said...

Certainly beats being stuck in a business meeting

Unknown said...

What a nice surprise to have the meeting pushed back so you could get the run in. Looks pretty nice up there.

Anonymous said...

Very cool. What a fun opportunity. As for the soggy running - you aren't kidding! I did manage to squeeze in my run this morning before the deluge, though.

Darrell said...

Looking good on top of the world.

Jon said...

No sign of Catra? Odd...she practically lives on those trails.

Stuart said...

You lucked out there it looks like a fun trail!

Doris said...

Would you believe I've been up there too!!! A work trip (to our then Newark Campus) a few years ago I stayed over a weekend and headed up the trail - it was a fab place and great views as I recall.

As for your little comment on my blog.... well just between you and I, I'm going after a charity slot for London, currently a reserve.. EK!

Gotta Run..... said...

How did I miss this post. The first picture is the BEST EVER!!!!

Leslie said...

Whaaaatt? No trail sightings of the elusive one-of-a-kind wild trail animal Catra Corbett? Maybe next time...she's a rare bird.

Gotta Run..... said...

It has been a while since you posted. Could you actually be taking a break? No way!! :)

wendy said...

I love that photo, and the one of you at mile 17 - leavenworth.

You make running look like so much fun!

lizzie lee said...

Eric, I hope to meet you next Sunday... I am very excited for Michelle's quest... Are you doing the triple too?

Sarah Elaine said...

Great photos. I like the one of the sexy old dude at the bottom... but he's not half as saucy as the sexy old (!) dude at the top.